[Board] So what is the purpose of OSGeo?

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Thu May 29 09:14:52 PDT 2008

On 29-May-08, at 7:23 AM, Arnulf Christl wrote:

>> There is a customer need for OSGeo training all over the world -
>> OSGeo should be encouraging a thousand flowers to bloom.
>
> Yes. I am fully with you. And there are many flowers already
> blooming, why trample on them by starting something that looks bigger?

I can't ignore the fact that there is nothing already happening in
the part of the world where the proposal plans to run the event.
Nothing from OSGeo except a struggling local chapter who would
probably love to piggyback on this event to help find more members.

What I think some of this discussion is ignoring is the fact that
various groups and companies are already using the OSGeo brand
without providing any financial benefit, without ever asking (and not
needing to ask) for explicit permission to use it and without any
accountability back to the organisation.  Some get vetted through the
Marketing Committee, some do not.  We also have sponsors who can
purchase the brand and simply use it.  This has generally been seen
as a "good thing", in the interests of being supportive and
developing our brand.

Here we have one group actually presenting some clear terms to
operate within.  If I were watching from the sidelines, the take-home
message for me would be: "do not ask to do it, just do it anyway".
That's not the kind of approach I think anyone wants to encourage.  I
think that's worse than any perception of supporting a bigger event.
Besides, if OSGeo projects end up participating in an event run by
OSGeo charter members, for promoting OSGeo goals in an area where
there is need, maybe even with the blessing of a local chapter - then
I echo Mark's question about purpose.

It ends up sounding like the board could be out of touch with the
needs and interests of the community and its projects.

Tyler