[Board] Mid-summer financial review

Jo Walsh jo at frot.org
Tue Jun 2 03:25:08 PDT 2009

dear all,

On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 2:57 AM, Dave McIlhagga
<dmcilhagga at dmsolutions.ca> wrote:
> Re. the off-the-wall idea -- I'm not so sure its that crazy.

I see no harm in at least writing to GITA and some other candidate
at least saying, "we are considering this amongst a range of options,
what do you feel about it?"

> On the original issue re. the financial situation -- I still wonder if we're
> doing enough on the fundraising side of the equation.

I wondered if it would be easier to raise sponsors for FOSS4G 2009,
rather than for the foundation directly, would it be a simpler sell.
I joined Cameron's sponsor contact google document and wrote to a few
people and got not one reply. I don't know how others here have made out
with that effort. I didn't try hard though because the climate
economically is so offputting - who is spending money they don't have to?

Whatever happens I *would* like to see an in-person meeting of
the board to handle this. Perhaps two board members can offer their
institutional or personal premises, and another 3 or 4 come to them,
that would save a bit of money and ideally directors can swallow
their own travel expenses although it would be nice to have a small
fund for this - it is important!

cheers,

jo