[Board] Re: F2F meeting

Howard Butler hobu.inc at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 11:14:14 PST 2009

On Nov 6, 2009, at 1:00 PM, Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> Howard Butler wrote:
>> I wonder if we could explore some sort of profit split with the
>> local committee that runs the FOSS4G event.
>
> Howard,
>
> To be clear, we have a profit splitting arrangement with the local
> committee and the split is that we (OSGeo) get 100% of the profit.

That's a bit of a disincentive for the local committee to work too
hard to ensure a profit (ie, work for OSGeo for free).

> We have put in place guidelines on a desired profit level for FOSS4G
> and
> if we pick lucrative venues we can expect 20-40K profit from
> FOSS4G.  In
> 2007 I believe we netted 100K due to the exemplary operation by Paul
> and
> others and a good location.

'eeked' was a mischaracterization of Sydney, especially considering
the conditions, but my point about OSGeo's risk is still valid.  If
the conference has the ability to sink us, I think we should be more
explicit about doing what we can to ensure we get some more upside.

> I don't really *like* aiming to make money off FOSS4G, but is our
> policy
> and we are doing it.  Arguable we could take further steps,
> including more
> support for those giving workshops and possibly higher workshop
> prices.  But
> I am hesitant to think that we could effectively evolve into a
> training
> as a service organization as our primary income.

As opposed to begging as our primary income? ;)  I'm not comfortable
in saying we've proven we're consistently successful at doing that if
we take away the profits past conferences have allowed us to float on.