[Board] International Participation in OSGeo

Seven (aka Arnulf) seven at arnulf.us
Wed Aug 25 00:30:58 PDT 2010

Brian,
I very much share your vision to spread word, interest and know-how in
theses areas. Undeniably there is a big cultural difference in the way
that people work and collaborate in these parts of the world, something
that we will need to learn if we want to become more active. Regardless
of these potential diffculties we already have achieved some results and
there are more things coming up. Here are some of the current activities
going on which I know of.

OSGeo has been invited by GIS Development to organize the Open Source
block of the upcoming Map World Form in Hyderabad, India and invite
speakers, maybe conduct workshops, etc. OSGeo India has accepted the
invitation and we are currently planning to organize an OSGeo summit for
invited representatives of Indian government and industry to help
motivate using and supporting Open Source. This is the current top down
perspective.

The bottom up view is being helped by programs such as the Google Summer
of Code which also funded several students in India to work on OSGeo
projects. This has been ongoing since the first GSoC with OSGeo and
there is a small but growing group of spatially and Open Source aware
people involved in some of our projects. The students on the project I
helped are all still active even after the initial contact through GSoC.

There is alos some activity to be seen at the educational level with
universities evaluating to use more Open Source Geospatial in education.

This is very promising and indded we hope to be of help to grow the FOSS
idea that way. It will then depend a lot on motivated individuals who
manage to build a business model around geospatial FOSS and get going in
the local markets.

I am completely at a loss of how any of this could work in China. We
have a local chapter there but there is very little communication that I
know of and cultural barriers are also so much higher. It is good to
hear that Jeff seems to have more and better contacts in that area. It
always depends so much on individuals - and with OSGeo especially on
interested volunteers.

Best regards,
Arnulf.