OSGeo Board elections! (was: Re: [Board] Re: Cief Returning Officer for...)

Arnulf Christl (OSGeo) arnulf at osgeo.org
Sun Jul 25 11:23:16 PDT 2010

Board,
we need to take a quick decision here. Please speak up!

We are too late to have regular Charter Member nominations and elections
and Board nominations and elections after that in time for FOSS4G (see
Paul's note below).

In my opinion it is of prime interest to have a functional and well
informed board to run OSGeo. To this effect it would be great to have as
many of the old and new board in one place and FOSS4G seems to work out
as the only event where we can get this done.

I have checked our bylaws and we can also have the board elections now
and extend the Charter Membership later. Obviously we would miss the
chance to get somone completely new into Charter Membership and directly
into the board but this is not as bad as having new directors who never
meet in real life. What do you think?

In the long run it may be better to do it the other way round anyway.
First get the board functional, then extend the Charter Membership.
Charter Members can follow what is going on for half a year and then
decide whether they are interested in being active on the board. Just my
2 Ct.

Please share your thoughts so that we might still get it done in time.

Reminder: I will be away (and really offline) from August 1. to 23.,
this includes the next board meeting. Next regular schedule would be
beginning of September. As that is already the conference week we will
then already have the f2f board meeting in Barcelona. You might want to
start building and agenda at the next meeting!

Best regards,
Arnulf