[Board] Board Meeting July first

Howard Butler hobu.inc at gmail.com
Mon Jun 28 06:26:20 PDT 2010

"In many respects, open source software and proprietary software are similar in the ways they are developed and used.  "  -- How they're used?  sure.  How they're developed? Hell no.  The whole point of open source software is that its development model provides advantages to developers.

The entire section that feebly attempts to characterize open source and proprietary software development should be ditched.  Deep linking and quoting of other, more nuanced and complete descriptions of the landscape is going to provide much more accurate detail and give the reader places to go to find out more.

The part about OSM is dead wrong.  The ODbL exists *because* the licensing concepts of open source software cannot apply.

projects2 -- typo

"For example, OpenLayers moved from Metacarta to Nokia, and Metacarta and Nokia have quite different ideas about the meaning of the OpenLayers Copyright."

1) what does this mean?
2) how does it have any bearing on this paper?
3) The *license* of OpenLayers makes Nokia's ideas about open source moot

What is the point of this paper?  To inform the members of OGC?  I find it quite mushy and weak (and factually inaccurate in a number of places), but I am most definitely not the intended audience.