[Board] Board Meeting July first

christopher.schmidt at nokia.com christopher.schmidt at nokia.com
Mon Jun 28 07:42:12 PDT 2010

On Jun 28, 2010, at 9:26 AM, ext Howard Butler wrote:
> "For example, OpenLayers moved from Metacarta to Nokia, and Metacarta and Nokia have quite different ideas about the meaning of the OpenLayers Copyright."
>
> 1) what does this mean?
> 2) how does it have any bearing on this paper?
> 3) The *license* of OpenLayers makes Nokia's ideas about open source moot

Also, how is this even true? What evidence is it based on? Who came up with
that information?

It seems like a complete mischaracterization of the facts, even if it *was*
relevant.

Nokia is an active and public supporter of Open Source, hosting and
participating in dozens, if not hundreds, of Open Source projects, and
supporting two foundations/organizing groups -- Symbian and Maemo --
centered entirely around Open Source.

Anyone who claims that Nokia is not supportive of Open Source is nuts;
anyone who thinks that there has been any change in the state of
OpenLayers copyright must be getting information from somewhere that I'm
not aware of; I'd love to know who these people are talking to, because
certainly, no one has told *me* of any change in the way OpenLayers
copyright is handled.

Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt