[Board] Re: Motion: Support visit to meet with the emerging Vietnam Chapter with funding

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Wed Mar 24 08:31:10 PDT 2010

Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Jeff McKenna wrote:
>> I disagree here.  The travel policy should apply to any OSGeo member
>> or employee.  I don't think any single individual should be allowed to
>> make his/her own decisions on travel (if I was in the E.D. role I
>> would expect that I would have to approve my own travel with the Board
>> before booking).
>
> Jeff,
>
> Well, this will bear some further discussion then.  I'll be hard to
> convince, but I can be overridden if necessary without me feeling
> bad.
>
>> I'd like to see a travel policy come out of this whole discussion,
>> approved by the Board, that would apply to any member of OSGeo, paid
>> or otherwise.
>
> Agreed, with the exception (in my mind) of the ED.
>
> Actually, I can imagine a few other exceptions too.  For instance
> committees and projects spending out of their own budgets should also
> not be subject to an overall project.  In the past GDAL has paid for it's
> maintainer to attend FOSS4G and we (the project) would not have appreciated
> any interference.

It's probably worth noting that the board, as my employer, set things up
certain ways over 3 years ago when they offered me the job.  Others can
speak to the reasoning better than me, but I just wanted to mention it
so you realise that you're talking about changing some things that have
been running for a while.  Likewise with adding budgets for director
travel... totally new obviously.

With that in mind, if something isn't working right, that is prompting
interest in both these changes, please let me know!

Tyler