[Board] Re: Title for opening plenary

Peter Batty peter at ebatty.com
Thu Jun 9 13:36:19 PDT 2011

I would second Tyler's comments. We are trying to attract quite a few new
folks to the conference and I think in the opening session we should focus
mainly on the things that are going well, the growth in usage of open
source, etc etc. Of course I think it's okay to say there are more things we
(OSGeo) would like to do, but I'd rather not say we don't address the needs
of larger organizations in industry and government ... I'm sure there is
more we could do there, but certainly our software does address the needs of
those large organizations and more and more are using it.

So overall I'd focus on summarizing progress and make it positive, and more
briefly raise questions that we should discuss during the conference about
areas where OSGeo could improve.

One other thing just to mention ... we now have Paul Ramsey in the third
slot in the opening session with a talk called "Why do you do that? An
exploration of open source business models", in case that factors into your
thoughts on what to cover or not cover.

Cheers,
    Peter.