Islandwood Code sprint (was Re: [Board] New MOUs proposed...)

Mark Lucas mlucas17 at mac.com
Sun Sep 4 07:32:23 PDT 2011

As a somewhat distant observer, there are two levels of discussion:

1)  What are the priorities for the board, how much financial bandwidth do we have

2)  Can we help with a near term financial guarantee for a code sprint

The discussion on Islandwood seems to indicate that it is fairly low risk, supported by trusted and well respected OSGeo contributors.  I think we all want to see these types of events flourish.  I am not of the opinion that these events are at the very top of our priority list - we should support where we can.  In this case I think we probably will once everyone is comfortable with the financial risk.

I'm hoping we can focus on taking OSGeo to the next level in terms of sponsorship, profitable events, and revenue streams so that these types of decisions become easier to make.  I believe we have made significant progress with our marketing in establishing OSGeo as a desired corporate and government partner.

Sorry if I missed it, but if OSGeo backs the Islandwood sprint and the event returns a profit, where do those profits go?  If events such as these can be structured to help build our financial resources they might be easier to evaluate and prioritize.

Thanks
Mark