Islandwood Code sprint (was Re: [Board] New MOUs proposed...)

Howard Butler hobu.inc at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 06:57:49 PDT 2011

On Sep 6, 2011, at 8:30 AM, Daniel Morissette wrote:

> On 11-09-04 04:45 AM, Jo Work wrote:
>>
>> However, (and excuse the newbie for speaking out of turn), a few things bother me. The first, is that it does set a precedent for people asking for help in the future- what's to stop any local chapter or event organiser asking in future- sure we can always say no but don't we need a framework in place to avoid accusations of favouritism?
>>

> This is alos my main concern: I am worried that this would set a precedent, without a clear framework to decide to support or not other events in the future.
>
> I guess the obvious response will be "let's define this framework then"... but I fear that won't be as easy as it sounds.

Isn't the board already the framework that decides what activities fit within OSGeo's mission on a case-by-case basis?  Otherwise, we're in an endless loop of committees and frameworks when the actual decision still boils down to the board and its willingness or not to act.

Simply:

- Do we have the money? (we don't know how much money we have, it seems)
- Does it fit our mission? (it's unclear what our mission is and everyone has a different idea on this one)
- Do we trust the folks acting on our behalf? (pretty sure the answer to this is yes :)

How is the framework anything more than that?

Howard