[Board] 2012 FOSS4G Decision

Seven (aka Arnulf) seven at arnulf.us
Thu Sep 15 13:18:58 PDT 2011

Jo,
it took me some time to digest your mail but I did not want to leave it
unanswered because you are making a few important points.

On 09/14/2011 02:49 PM, Jo Cook wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I agree with Tim and Tyler.  Furthermore, I don't think it's fair to
> conflate this decision with the decision not to support the code sprint.

Well, it all comes back to money in the end and we were not prepared to
back-up one event with 12k (with a known team and standing record of
success) but another event with several 100k and an - at least to me -
so far unknown team. I hope this is not unfair.

> Those of us that were unsure were not complaining about the money per
> se, but had a lack of knowledge of the financial implications, differing
> ideas about risk, and about whether the organisation should profit from
> helping out. This is a totally different issue, and to me (new, naive,
> uninformed)

Please accept my apologies if whatever I did or say makes you feel naive
or uniformed. It is quite the opposite, I have been involved with all of
this for long enough that I may well miss the wood for the trees. Please
continue to say whatever you have to say unimpeded by <irony>looming
important figures like me</irony>.

> objecting on the grounds that have been stated here looks
> like a total lack of confidence in the conference organising committee.

Well, I must admit that in my opinion the conference committee took a
decision that did not take any financial aspects into account. Maybe
this is the conference committee's job - but then it is the board's job
to make sure it does not kill OSGeo. This is why we have the board, I
guess.

> Are we really a global organisation, or do we just say that? So far,
> we've tiptoed around the English-speaking and European edges, whereas
> now we have a chance to be truly international. Are we really going to
> chicken out because of language barriers or because it's a long way to
> travel?

Haha, well, not me - I have been to all events so far and have no plan
of changing this. But if it is only me going there the event will for
sure be a loss. But quite a few people here in Denver did say that they
will probably not be able to come to Beijing.

> Finally, please don't have a lack of confidence in the board when this
> incarnation has only been around for a few weeks!

I apologize for being a blunt, impolite and rude barbarian German - it
is just one way of how I function. And sometimes it does help to get
things done. No harm intended.

Thanks,
Arnulf

Exploring Space, Time and Mind