[Board] Resignation

Jo Cook jocook at astuntechnology.com
Fri Aug 10 07:56:38 PDT 2012

Dear Board,

I'm sorry to say that I have decided to resign as a board member. I
apologise for the incredibly short notice, given the election is currently
ongoing, but I'm hoping that this gives you the opportunity to elect an
additional member during this round of voting rather than having to hold an
extra election later on. This has been on my mind for several months now,
in fact probably since we got back from Seattle, and I have tried and
failed to write this email several times over the last few months.

I don't intend to go into all the reasons, but here is some explanation.
Firstly, I am spreading myself too thin, and feel unable to commit as much
time, and to be honest, money for travelling around, as I'd like to the
Board role. I'd rather my place was filled by someone who has the resources
to do that. Secondly, I have no experience or knowledge of a lot of the
issues that are discussed at board level, and again I would rather that my
place was filled by someone more suitable. Thirdly, and perhaps most
contentiously, I find that I disagree with a lot of the ways the foundation
gets things done. This is not a reflection of the current board, but a more
general comment about the foundation as a whole. I think this is for me to
deal with, not the foundation, as I'm the one in the minority, and I have
neither the time or the personal strength to take on large parts of the
charter membership and upwards!

On a personal level, I need to step back from the "official" side of things
and return to what I love best, which is just evangelising about the
software. I have found that increasingly hard over the last year and I miss
it.

As far as I'm concerned this has no impact on my role supporting and
promoting FOSS4G 2013- in fact it gives me more time to help make that the
best damned FOSS4G ever. You already have a board representative, so you
don't even need to worry about that side of things.

Regards

Jo

--
***Jo Cook*
Astun Technology Ltd, The Coach House, 17 West Street, Epsom, Surrey, KT18

864201149.