[Board] How to replace Jo?

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Sun Aug 19 14:06:17 PDT 2012

On 11/08/12 06:11, Daniel Morissette wrote:
> On 12-08-10 12:37 PM, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
>>

>> On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 8:48 AM, Michael P. Gerlek <mpg at flaxen.com
>> <mailto:mpg at flaxen.com>> wrote:
>>

>>     I think the wisest course would be to do nothing right now, and then
>>     have the new board of 8 act to fill the void. I would want to make a
>>     motion at that time that we appoint whoever the runner up was, but
>>     as CRO I'm potentially biased since I would know who that person
>>     would be. I would probably want to abstain from voting on that
>> motion.
>>

>> Michael,
>>
>> I am in favor of leaving this decision to the new board.  I think it
>> would be reasonable for them to appoint the first runner up in the
>> election to the empty seat for one year.
>>

> I agree with leaving the decision to the new board.
>
> However, I'm not sure about appointing the next runner up in this
> case, as that might make this person uncomfortable since he/she would
> implicitly be the director on the board who received the least votes,
> and I believe that ranking people by number of votes is something
> we've wanted to avoid in any board or charter member election in the
> past.
>
> Not sure if that is a real issue or what the solution is, but I
> thought I'd bring it up anyway.

Ok, we how have a new board, and tomorrow we vote on how to select a
replacement board member. We also need to get our membership balance
back such that we replace 5 people/4 people on alternative years, which
effectively means that one person from this year's board should stand
down at the end of one year.

My suggestion is that one of us privately approach the next person in
line (by number of votes from the last board election), and ask them to
join the board. The terms of joining the board shall be:
* We will welcome this new board member as one of our own.

* At the end of a 1 year term, if no other board member has stepped down
in the interim, then this new member shall step down (and optionally
stand for re-election), so that we can keep the 4/5 balance for voting
of boards.

--
Cameron Shorter
Geospatial Solutions Manager