[Board] Resignation from Board

Eli Adam eadam at co.lincoln.or.us
Tue Feb 7 20:18:44 PST 2012

>From the bylaws,
http://www.osgeo.org/content/foundation/incorporation/bylaws.html

Section 3.6. Resignation and Removal of Directors. A director may
resign at any time upon written request to the corporation.
Furthermore, any director or the entire Board of Directors may be
removed, with or without cause, by a vote of two-thirds (2/3) of the
members entitled to vote for the election of directors or as otherwise
provided in the General Corporation Law of the State of Delaware.

Section 3.7. Vacancies. Any vacancy occurring in the Board of
Directors, including any vacancy created by reason of an increase in
the authorized number of directors, may be filled by the affirmative
vote of a majority of the remaining directors though less than a
quorum of the Board of Directors or by a sole remaining director. If
there is more than one class of members, vacancies of directorships
elected by such class may be filled by a majority of the directors
elected by such class or by a sole remaining director. A director
elected to fill a vacancy shall hold office only until the next
election of directors by the members.

Reading that (and this list) makes it sound like Jeff provided a
written request to resign.  The board accepted that (and had no other
choice).  Now it sounds like the Board must by majority vote select
someone to fill the remainder of Jeff's term.

For making statements before a replacement is selected, are you
suggesting that a more complete statement could be made than something
like, "The Board of Directors accepted Jeff McKenna's resignation from
the OSGeo Board of Directors on February 6th.  In accordance with the
bylaws, a new director will be voted in by the majority of the Board
for the remainder of Jeff's term."?

Eli

>>> http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/board/2012-February/009394.html