[Board] Resignation from Board

Arnulf Christl arnulf at osgeo.org
Wed Feb 8 08:54:46 PST 2012

On 02/08/2012 12:21 AM, Tim Sutton wrote:
> Dear all
>
> I have also been watching this thread from the sidelines and feeling
> like things are being mishandled.

Dear Tim,
I do not think that the board mishandled anything. Maybe the acceptance
of his resignation was a bit quick - but do you really believe that Jeff
would have changed his mind if I would have asked him to not leave?

Actually I did exactly that when he asked me via mail before going
public but then changed his mind and did not wait for my answer (he
changed his mind after 4 minutes then sending his resignation). After
his resignation I answered him privately that I do not accept his
resignation - but again, this will not change what has happened.

> If Jeff was leaving because of e.g. family obligations or something
> far removed from the activities of the board there would be no issue
> here. However it seems quite clear that he is leaving due to finding
> the internal machinations of the board untenable.

This is inference is logically not valid. And I would like to ask Jeff
that he clarify this if folks here do not want to believe me.

I must also say that this is not very nice to the board who has taken a
weekend plus travel meeting and discussing the future of OSGeo in the
best way we can. We have taken a decision which could also heave been
taken in the conference committee but Jeff chose to not proceed there
for his own reasons, so what could we do? He also chose to not come to
the board meeting although he had originally registered. Go figure.

> My perception is
> that the board happily accepted his resignation rather than trying to

What the ? I am not happy!

> understand why one of it's leading lights is leaving - and what can be
> done to remedy the situation so that he will stay on. I am sure others
> share this feeling.

Yes, what can we do? Maybe you ask Jeff to stay and participate in the
decision process and not the board to ask him.

> While it may be the case that the board is acting within its
> guidelines, it is important that from a public relations point of view
> that you try to address this issue in a better way. Take the time to
> do some PR to explain what is going on rather than simply quoting
> bylaws.

I couldn't care less about bylaws and am thankful for others taking this
job on. I am trying to PR now (instead of taking rest in my annual
offline retreat).

At the very least some publicity (mailing lists, web site
> etc.) thanking Jeff for his time with the board and showing your
> appreciation for all the work he has put into OSGEO would be a nice
> send off for Jeff.

This has been done and I am sure will continue. Right now I must say
that as president of OSGeo I am not in the mood to thank him at all
because he puts us me in a pretty awkward position.

But are personal friends and from this side I must say that I deeply
regret that he stepped back... No, not really. Because deep within I
know that he will come back eventually and continue to be a great leader
for all the we are doing. Jut give him some time. Please.

> Best regards
>
> Tim

Best regards,
Arnulf

>>> http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/board/2012-February/009394.html
>>> http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/conference_dev/2012-February/001633.html
>>>
>>> I think the Board owes an explanation to the community (on osgeo-discuss)
>>> about
>>> the reasons/circumstances that led to acceptance of Jeff's resignation.
>>> This will
>>> be no disrespect to his privacy.
>>> This should be done before Board Members start expressing thier private
>>> about how the vacant Board member seat can be filled.

>>> I fully agree with Jeroen on the that.
>>>
>>> Venka

President, OSGeo
http://www.osgeo.org