[Board] FOSS4G North America 2013

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Jul 24 10:55:42 PDT 2012

On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 9:01 AM, David William Bitner
<bitner at dbspatial.com> wrote:
> OSGeo Board,
>
> I am excited to tell you that we have settled on a date and a venue for
> FOSS4G North America 2013 in Minneapolis, MN.
> With the $9,000 we are receiving that was carry over from the DC event, we
> are not seeking any start up funds from OSGeo. We are still in the process
> of arranging our fiscal sponsor to actually handle bank accounts for us, but
> we would like to request that OSGeo be willing to act as a financial
> backstop for this event.
>
> We would certainly invite an OSGeo representative to participate on the LOC
> and to review any financial decisions being made by the Committee.

David,

It is great to hear the progress on the 2013 NA event!

If we want to have OSGeo provide financial backing for the
event, which I think is reasonable, then I would suggest we
follow a process somewhat similar to the main FOSS4G
event where the board approves the budget and provides a
LOC member to keep an eye that things remain on track.

I think it would also be most appropriate in this case that the
carry over from year to year be held by OSGeo.  (After the
MN event would be fine from my perspective)

I hope you will circulate the budget and ask for input also
from the conference committee.  Ideally the board would
act on it's advice in the matter of additional conferences
that OSGeo takes financial responsibility for.