[Board] CRO rules

Venkatesh Raghavan raghavan at media.osaka-cu.ac.jp
Sat Jul 28 22:53:58 PDT 2012

On 2012/07/29 14:15, Michael P. Gerlek wrote:

Thanks for bringing up the point.
> At the next board meeting, I'd like to present a motion to amend this page http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Chief_Returning_Officer to add a couple bullet items to explicitly state that:
+1 for amending/clarifying the CRO's role in OSGeo elections

>    - the CRO is allowed to nominate people for charter or board membership
>    - the CRO is allowed to vote in the charter and board member elections

In no organizational election that I know off does CRO involve in
electioneering in any
way (including nominating people, express preference/support/seconding
any nominee).

Choosing to be or being appointed as CRO should require the CRO to
refrain from any kind
of electioneering that would amount to influencing the election result.

Also, since the CRO have access to information of the voting results as
they know
how the charter members are voting, they should either cast their ballot
in pre-poll voting
(or be refrain from voting for the elections).

If a new bullet has to be added, it may be added to the effect as below;

- the CRO is not allowed to take part in activities such as nominating,
   seconding or support any nominee and maintain total impartiality about
   his preferences for any candidate

- the CRO is allowed to do Pre-poll voting 24 hours before the official
elections for charter and/or board member commences

Best

Venka