[Board] MOTION: Approve schedule for the 2012 OSGeo elections

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Wed Jun 13 09:14:33 PDT 2012

I believe your proposal is fine, it follows all the rules that I am
aware of.

However here are a few notes/comments from last year's CRO after my
review of your proposal for the benefit of those who are less familiar
with the process and the way it used to be held:

1- We are coming back to holding the charter member election first,
followed by the board election. This is perfectly fine as this is the
way things used to be in the first years of the foundation, and we had
reversed the order in the last 2-3 years due to poor timing (i.e. we
started the election process too late)

2- I note that the proposed charter member nomination period is 7 days
which is slightly shorter than the 13-14 days nomination period that we
had in 2011 and 2010, but then the proposed voting period of ~14 days is
longer than what it used to be. This is fine and respects our rules
which require 1 week for both. However, I used to like a longer
nomination period to keep time for nominees to be contacted and provide
feedback. My suggestion would be to adjust your proposal to have ~12
days nominations and ~8 days voting for the charter member election. The
gap of 1 week between nominations and voting is great to leave time to
nominees to send out a little speech.

3- I am fine with the proposed number of 20 new charter members (and
hope that nobody will reopen that endless debate on the number of
charter members to add each year).

4- Nothing to add/change on the board election part of the proposal

5- Should we start the practice of putting the name of the CRO in the
Elections wiki page... just to keep track of who played the role when
without having to dig out in the mailing list archives?

Thank you for taking the lead on this

Daniel

--
Daniel Morissette