[Board] GSoC mentor payments - information

Anne Ghisla a.ghisla at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 01:36:08 PST 2012

On Mon, 05 Mar 2012 23:36:45 -0500
Daniel Morissette <dmorissette at mapgears.com> wrote:

> On 12-03-05 2:35 PM, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> >
> > My opinion is that the mentors have the right to the $500
> > payment if they want it.  We have just been fortunate that
> > it has been left to OSGeo by most mentors.  So I don't
> > think the board has any role to interfere.
> >
> > If you want to have a check box in Melange, I'm sure that
> > is fine, and within your authority as administrator.
>
> If one decides to claim their 500$ for mentoring, then would the
> payment be handled directly by Google or is OSGeo expected to make
> the payment to the mentor?

The payment to mentors has to be done by OSGeo, Google does not handle
separate mentor payments.

> I ask this because if OSGeo receives the money from Google and then
> makes the payment to an individual then there may be tax implications
> that we are not prepared/setup to handle.

I see. Let us know what are the potential issues for OSGeo, I suppose
it is because it is a payment, rather than a true refund

If we realise that there are unavoidable blockers to mentor payment, a
fallback solution could be to keep trace of how many mentor payments
belong to each OSGeo project, keep the money within OSGeo and let the
projects claim "their" money for future events/hackfests/etc. as usual
sponsoring and refunds.

best regards,

Anne
--