[Board] OSGeo Elections

Jo Cook jocook at astuntechnology.com
Fri May 18 02:36:42 PDT 2012

Hi Arnulf,

Nooo! Don't go!

Seriously though, do you think you'd feel less worn out if you managed to
hand over some of your ambassadorial duties?

> There are other reasons which make me take this decision. One is a
> nagging feeling that many in the community object to many (if not all)
> strategic decisions we took as a board. This is probably inevitable
> given the diversity of interests represented through OSGeo - but
> nonetheless it is a strain.

I have my own thoughts on the community and whether or not they agree with
the strategic decisions that the board has made over the last few years-
there is a difference between agreeing with and liking for a start- some of
the decisions have been like taking medicine- you don't do it for the taste
you do it to make you better!

Personally I think there are ways in which we, the board, could improve the
way decisions are communicated and handled, but it is our role to make the
difficult decisions, and no, not everyone is going to agree with them.

> In summary it feels like I am a bit worn
> out. And I am actually looking forward to do some work which for a
> change is honored by monetary compensation.
>
> It took me a lot of listening to friends and thinking on my own to
> arrive at this point but it seems to be the right thing to do.
>

> I'm really sorry to hear that, and I think it's a huge loss to the
organisation, but I quite understand your decision and totally support it.

Jo

--
***Jo Cook*
Astun Technology Ltd, The Coach House, 17 West Street, Epsom, Surrey, KT18

864201149.