[Board] Definition of "IP" and "Intellectual Poverty"

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed May 23 09:37:05 PDT 2012

Folks,

My opinion on this is that we ought to avoid use of the
term Intellectual Property in formal/official OSGeo
documents as their is a diversity of opinion on how
appropriate this term is, and that it's use may ultimately
be letting the enemies of open source frame the
conversation.

That said, I don't want to become language police (a loaded
term for Canadian's!) and spend a lot of effort and credibility
trying to change others.  I'm afraid this would make us appear
strident in the same way that - for instance - the Free Software
Foundations fight to refer to Linux as GNU/Linux ultimately
diminished the FSF (imho at least).

Best regards,
Frank