[Board] OSGeo vs 501c3 status - inpur required

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Sat Nov 10 19:39:48 PST 2012

On 12-11-10 01:32 PM, Jeff McKenna wrote:
> For what it's worth, here are my feelings briefly:
>
> - keep the project sponsorship program
> - hire a professional bookkeeper to manage the financials as of January
> 2013 (among the responsibilities such as mentioned in this email [taxes,
> IRS, non/profit status, financial institutions etc.], his/her main
> responsibility will be a monthly financial report submitted to the
> Board, preferably as short as one side of a page)
> - create a taxable subsidiary
>
> I think this would lesson the load on our great (yet small) pool of
> OSGeo volunteers, and at the same time let us continue with the
> sponsorship program (and hopefully expand it someday).

Jeff,

Are you suggesting then that we aim for 501c3 status which implies
at least on paper narrowing our focus to educational goals?

I believe that the responsibilities you are describing go well
beyond that of a bookkeeper and so the pay would be substantially
more than just for bookkeeping.  I imagine someone with more business
experience than me should comment.