[Board] Legal Entities for OSGeo

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Tue Nov 13 12:37:58 PST 2012

BTW, for everyone's benefit OSGeo currently has three types of fund
raising activities described at

http://www.osgeo.org/sponsorship/opportunities

1- Fondation sponsors is fine for a nonprofit 501c3 if we treat them as
donors and only thank them in a "thank you" page with their logos (a
minimum change of terminology in the website would fix this)

2- Project sponsorship is not acceptable for nonprofit 501c3 because
that is a taxable activity that competes with private businesses. That
is why a new taxable subsidiary would be required to manage this if we
continue it.

3- Conference sponsorship falls in a grey area. As long as we treat the
sponsors as donors and only thank them with their logo then we're fine.
However if the sponsors get a 1/2 page ad in the conference program or a
booth then that part of the sponsorship amount (corresponding to
500-1000$?) is not a donation, it needs to be treated as "unrelated
business income (UBI)". A nonprofit can have a maximum of 15% of its
revenues in UBI (you may also have to pay taxes on that UBI income).

--
Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/