[Board] [OSGeo-Conf] FOSS4G rotation

Dimitris Kotzinos kotzino at csd.uoc.gr
Tue Apr 16 11:06:31 PDT 2013

Dear all,

I think that Barend's suggestion for the two year rotation scheme
between the global event and the regional conferences is valid (I had
made a similar proposition about a year ago, you can look an e-mail
dated 15/06/2012 to the discuss list).
So it is not a suggestion but a recurring idea that I think deserves
some discussion within the board. I think that his e-mail covers the
subject adequately, I would like to stress that in years of financial
crisis especially people cannot fund going to two conferences the same
year with more or less the same subject, e.g. for many of us attending
both FOSS4G-CEE and FOSS4G with both happening in Europe this year is
not a choice.
Moreover this gives everybody the time that is requested to have an
early start that will assure better organization and thus a better
financial result.

Having said that, this brings me to the second point: money!
I understand the annoyance when we speak about OSGEO making money
through the main conference (especially since this is directly reflected
on the conference fees) but before dismissing a revenue source we should
make sure that we either have another one or that we are also dismissing
some of the expectations. Thus I think that the board should clarify
what are the rules, what is the expected turnaround (and this could be
adjusted by region) and so on. Of course a contingency plan is also
needed for the case that things go wrong. Unfortunately, unless we have
wealthy sponsors I do not see how we can overcome this.

So ... more work for the board! :)

Cheers,
Dimitris