[Board] Getting the organization for 2014 settled

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Tue Aug 27 10:58:20 PDT 2013

On 2013-08-27 1:35 PM, Darrell Fuhriman wrote:

> Long term, I think (1) is clearly the best option. Further, I think
> OSGeo should have one person on staff, even if only part-time, to handle
> many of these details in the future, or there should be an on-going
> contractual relationship with an event management firm to do so.
>
> If FOSS4G is going to be the primary source of revenue for OSGeo for the
> foreseeable future, then it is foolish to not devote resources to making
> sure that that revenue stream is reliable. If OSGeo fails to do so,
> there *will* be a repeat of 2012. The current structure is simply too
> haphazard to depend on.
>
> And since now is as good a time as any, as I’ve said on the conference
> list, but I will reiterate here in all caps for emphasis: ONE YEAR IS
> NOT ENOUGH TIME TO ORGANIZE A CONFERENCE THIS SIZE. A paid staff
> person/organization should be planning the conferences at least two, and
> ideally three years in advance. We are very fortunate to be have been
> able to get the spaces we need for 2014, and we should depend on
> planning, not luck for the future.

Hi Darrell,

You have touched a point of contention for me in the past. A few years
ago I carried the flag to OSGeo for a partially funded position to guide
the FOSS4G event, with guiding FOSS4G-Beijing in mind (I proposed an
open job posting, even suggested hours and wages, deliverables, all
documented on a public OSGeo wiki page, which, is easy to find and will
forever exist).

The reality is however that OSGeo does not have much funding to set
aside for such a position.  We rely on dedicated volunteers, and as Paul
mentioned, the work of a professional conference organizing company each
year.

I do appreciate you bringing this up however.  The topic, is dear to my
heart.

Yours,

-jeff