[Board] foss4g europe

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Tue Nov 19 11:39:58 PST 2013

On 13-11-19 11:27 AM, Jachym Cepicky wrote:
> Daniel (and others),
>
> I'm hoping in very close cooperation between OSGeo and FOSS4G-Europe at
> least in a way, as it is happening at the global FOSS4G (not speaking
> about financial site of the problematic).
>
> I'm now member of the FOSS4G-Europe LOC. The skype meetings are held
> weekly (monday around 14:00 UTC)
>
> Do you have some concrete proposal for actions, which should be taken
> right now? Shall I at least report to board about weekly meetings?
>
> Jachym

Hi Jachym,

(Here is an idea since you asked)

Perhaps a simple way to make the relationship between OSGeo and
FOSS4G-Europe more formal might be to officially have a rep of OSGeo on
the LOC.

i.e. I realize that you already joined the LOC, but you are there as an
individual and not formally representing the OSGeo Foundation. It is a
small but important difference. If FOSS4G-Europe and OSGeo want to
establish a stronger relationship they could formalize this decision and
one of the resulting actions would be to appoint you as their liaison
(similar to the rep of the board on the LOC of FOSS4G international),
and then you would speak for OSGeo on the LOC, and the LOC could turn to
you if they expect some answers or contributions from OSGeo (such as
booth presence or speakers in the plenary). You would also report to the
board regularily on the progress of the planning work.

Once again, it's a small formality, but I believe that if someone is
formally appointed in such a role then that may be a way to reduce the
chances of things falling in between chairs, and would (I hope) ensure a
stronger presence and visibility of OSGeo in the event.

Note that the liaison for this or other events does not absolutely have
to be a member of the board. It could be any trustworthy member of the
community.

Daniel
--
Daniel Morissette