[Board] foss4g europe

Seven (aka Arnulf) seven at arnulf.us
Wed Nov 20 01:12:32 PST 2013

Jachym,
please go ahead and maintain the connection to the FOSS4G-E LOC. I
cannot see anybody else who would be in a better position than yourself.
There will be no sentiments against you or your role on the FOSS4G-E
LOC. Instead everybody will be happy to have you there.

Just one last time, for the record: The initial stir caused by FOSS4G-E
was simply caused by announcing an event without involving the local
community. Specifically: The FOSSGIS organizers (including myself) heard
of FOSS4G-E for the first time when it was officially announced at
FOSS4G in Nottingham. That was a very bad move because we are used to
selecting conference venues transparently. We make sure that dates do
not overlap and we don't cannibalize each other's attendees, etc. None
of these concerns were addressed publicly, hence people were angered.
Simple as that.

I suggest that we make it a rule that anybody wanting to make use of the
brand FOSS4G must first announce this on conference dev (will make this
a separate motion on their list). Fur us Local Chaps it is really this
very first announcement which is so important because then people can
wrap their head around it, voice their concerns, offer to help, etc.

I hope that this clears up the confusion around FOSS4G-E 2014. We will
do our best to support FOSSGIS, the OSGeo day at AGIT and FOSS4G-E.

In a nutshell: Next time anything happens in Germany kindly let the
Local Chapter know beforehand (just like anywhere else in the world).

Have fun,
Arnulf