[Board] Website for OSGeo Code Sprints

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Thu Oct 10 09:05:12 PDT 2013

Hi Board, and TOSprint list members,

As we organize the Vienna Code Sprint (March 2014), we realized the need
for a proper website for the sprint to give some visibility to the
sponsors in a home that looks better than a raw wiki page.

We discussed this with Stephan who is organizing the Vienna sprint and
they setup a simple website for the sprint where the event summary and
the sponsors can be presented, and a link to the wiki is provided for
people to sign up, etc.

What I would like to suggest is that we start placing websites for our
code sprints, under a common umbrella which is easy to find by members
of the community. A few simple steps are involved, and I'd take the lead
on them:

1- Setup http://sprint.osgeo.org/ as a landing page to list current and
past sprints, similar to the current foss4g.org landing page listing
current and past foss4g's

2- Then use subdomains for each sprint's website as we do for FOSS4G
each year. The Vienna 2014 sprint URL would be
http://vienna2014.sprint.osgeo.org/ (the actual website setup by Stephan
will be hosted on github, so no hosting requirements are involved, just
a DNS entry pointing to it)

3- If you get the idea, then we could also eventually invite other OSGeo
sprints to join under the same umbrella, e.g.
bolsena2014.sprint.osgeo.org, and so on for GRASS and QGIS sprints, etc.

I don't think we need a formal motion of the board for this, so I am
mostly sending this as an FYI expressing my interest to move forward
with this proposal unless I hear objections or suggestions of better
alternatives.

Thanks

--
Daniel Morissette