[Board] Privacy (was: Re: global distribution of members)

Margherita Di Leo diregola at gmail.com
Tue Oct 22 05:28:02 PDT 2013

Hi Arnulf,

On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 11:59 AM, Seven (aka Arnulf) <seven at arnulf.us>wrote:

> Board,
> before charging ahead and geocoding Charter Member addresses (we don't
> have them all!) and putting them on a map we have to make sure that all
> of us agree with having our locations displayed. In many legislations
> the home location of a person is considered private data. In order to be
> allowed to publish this private data (at least in Germany) we need a
> record of that person's consent. This could be a check box on our system
> that defaults to "not allowed" and can be changed to "yeah, go ahead" by
> the user herself. As yet we do not have anything like that. Maybe it is
> time that we did?
>
> Since this requires an interaction with charter members anyway, why can't
charter members just fill something like this:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Category:OSGeo_Member
The location is provided and published on a voluntary basis, thus shouldn't
need any privacy-legalese stuff.

cheers,
madi

Dr. Margherita DI LEO
Scientific / technical project officer

European Commission - DG JRC
Via Fermi, 2749
I-21027 Ispra (VA) - Italy - TP 261

Tel. +39 0332 78 3600
margherita.di-leo at jrc.ec.europa.eu

Disclaimer: The views expressed are purely those of the writer and may not
in any circumstance be regarded as stating an official position of the
European Commission.