[Board] My attendance in Portland

Darrell Fuhriman darrell at garnix.org
Mon Jul 14 15:57:51 PDT 2014

I certainly think so.

I think there’s enough work to do on everything from administration, to running booths, to raising money, and to helping to organize FOSS4G (the distinction between the main FOSS4G conference and OSGeo being largely fictional.)

If not directly employed resources, the certainly outsourced resources – for instance, the vendor we’re using to help organize FOSS4G, VTM Group got its start doing administration for small technical organizations and they still do a lot of that, if you’re interested in going that route.

And frankly, having some consistency between years on getting FOSS4G up and running is really valuable. There’s a lot of duplicated effort from year to year that’s completely unncessary.

As to whether Jeff is comp’ed by FOSS4G for his registration or OSGeo pays is kind of a pointless question. Since any proceeds return to OSGeo, it’s all a wash in the end. The only reason question even makes sense is one where we maintain this fiction of separation.

Darrell