[Board] OSGeo Budget 2014: proposed items to support education initiatives

Anne Ghisla a.ghisla at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 08:55:02 PST 2014

Hi all,

I would like to bring to discussion some proposals about support of
educational initiatives, that came out of recent discussions with
ICA-OSGeo Labs members in Sri Lanka:

- allocate OSGeo money to support travel of students between labs in
  the same country, or the closest country if there is only one, while
  university takes care of accommodation

- Same as above, but to gather researchers from various labs but same
  field of expertise, to brainstorm/work on a common project

- invite domain experts to have short lessons/seminars using
  teleconference facilities, for benefit of other labs that work on
  same research domain (for that I would work on a teleconference tool
  hosted by OSGeo itself)

I think we can decide soon about what sum to allocate, and the outline
of the procedure. I am aware that it will involve extra paperwork for
the Treasurer, so I would also think about finding a way of managing
micropayments and refunds.

See you later,

Anne
--