[Board] osgeo labs

Jachym Cepicky jachym.cepicky at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 13:33:07 PDT 2014

Landon,

I personally think, "incubation labs" are one of the key parts of
OSGeo, which could attract more project to OSGeo. I do have feeling
(please, do not take it personally, and correct me if I'm wrong), that
our "incubation labs" are sleeping a bit - I would like to wake them
up.

I've talked to Jody at FOSS4G a bit, we agreed on 3 attributes,
project should have, in order to be part of our "labs" (disclamer: I
did not check our rules for labs long time ago):

1 - Name (project should have name
2 - OSI license (it's about open source and free software)
3 - Headers in files are OK, license is clear

Done

For some projects, the skeleton of other information can be taken from
OSGeo-live, so no overhead is generated.

I volunteer to warm up things. I hope, someone else will pick the
topic (at least later) and continue during years :)

Any comments from your side? Why are there so few projects in our labs

"labs Name":

Yeah, those academic people - they never care :-) Jeff pointed out, he
told them, but they were already far ahead. That is life. We should
change the name then. I do not like the word "incubator" (it seems to
me, OSGeo would like to raise some projects, but some might be already
mature, they just e.g. lack on community, etc..).

We should find a name. "OSGeo recognized project"?

thanks