[Board] board f2f planning / prep

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 12:07:55 PST 2015

OSGeo Board,
For the Board Face to Face meeting, I suggest asking the OSGeo community
for ideas to put on the OSGeo board agenda.

One topic I think worth adding to [1] is:

"Re-engaging with the OSGeo Community"

My gut feeling is that over the years email activity and new ideas has
gradually reduced on OSGeo-Discuss email list, and gradually increased
on the OSGeo-Board email list. (I'd love to find some evidenced based
research to confirm or deny this).

If this is true, it would imply that OSGeo is moving from a grass roots,
community empowered organisation, where the board's main role is
validating community ideas, toward a hierachical organisation where the
board is driving the OSGeo agenda.

Personally, I think a grass roots organisation structure is more
effective, and more in line with OSGeo's founding principles.

I suggest a starting point could be to discuss ideas on OSGeo-Discuss by
default, then move to the board list to vote.
Another idea worth building upon is inviting the OSGeo Charter members
to vote on key topics occasionally in order to help the board gauge
community sentiment.

Warm regards, Cameron Shorter