[Board] Topic for the Board Meeting: Funding request for Townhall event at European Geosicence Union General Assembly 2016

Anita Graser anitagraser at gmx.at
Fri Dec 25 09:07:36 PST 2015

Hi Peter,

On Thu, Dec 24, 2015 at 2:52 PM, "Peter Löwe" <peter.loewe at gmx.de> wrote:

> * Request for funding for the third OSGeo Townhall at the European
> Geoscience Union (EGU) General Assembly. Details and background info here:
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/EGU_Townhall_2016

​It's great that you're organizing a OSGeo event at EGU again! I just went
through last year's summary which reads suggests that a different format
would be helpful to reach out to people not yet familiar with OSGeo:
Options & Opportunities for EGU General Assembly 2016[edit
<https://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php?title=EGU_Townhall_2015&action=edit&section=42>
]
- Townhall (saturation has been reached -> 50 participants). Competition
with similar events in the same timeslot most likely to continue. Most
attendees in 2015 were already familiar with OSGeo (-> Birds of a feather).
No need to preach to the choire. Reach-out to newbies needs different
channels.
- Option: Splinter Meeting (free software - free speech - free lunch)
during a lunch break timeslot to avoid Townhall-competition issue.

​Did you consider changing to a different format than a townhall meeting?

Best wishes,
Anita