[Board] Clarifying Board voting rules

Anne Ghisla a.ghisla at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 04:38:39 PST 2015

On Mon, 9 Feb 2015 20:58:07 +0100
Even Rouault <even.rouault at spatialys.com> wrote:

> Le lundi 09 février 2015 20:35:32, Jachym Cepicky a écrit :
> > If we agree on, -1 means "veto for now, but can be over voted",
> > that opens a lot of interesting possibilities...
>
> The "can be over voted" is for example useful to avoid a single
> person that would go in "bad mode" (e.g. that would be acquired by an
> hostile party) to block the whole board for months or years.

It is actually the same procedure of law approval in Italy: the
President can refuse to sign a proposed law, but only once. I think
that if we understand the meaning of veto as "Let's think twice, but if
you really are convinced, then I won't block it", it makes sense. If we
keep it as "We just have to ask the question twice, the second answer
will always be a yes" - then we have a problem, but not a technical one.

I have thought for some time about the current Board voting procedure,
what could make it safer against bad intentions. I suspect that every
system can be gamed, the differences are in how difficult it is. That
said, with my current knowledge and experience, I am OK with current
rules, and current complexity of these rules:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Board_Voting_Procedure

I was surprised too when I realised that the details of voting were not
explicitely written down until now. A positive thought is, probably so
far the Board didn't strongly need to check if a motion should pass,
according to a rule. It really depends on the content of  the motions,
so I can't say if this has always been a good thing. But at the same
time I don't want to get too picky on applying a rule; I think that the
intention should shape the rule, and not the opposite. So in this case
Maxi's concerns were heard, more details have been asked, things are
going forward.

Best,
Anne