[Board] motions from June 18 meeting - making OSGeo Charter membership more exclusive

Jorge Sanz jsanz at osgeo.org
Mon Jun 22 10:02:09 PDT 2015

> Margherita makes a very good point here, that if someone gets multiple NO
> votes then they are probably not a good candidate. That's what I would have
> thought as well.
>
> However, after last year's election I was extremely surprised to see that
> even the top-5 candidates which all got over 70% support also got 2-3 NO
> votes each:
>
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Election_2014_detailed_results
>
> I don't understand why someone would vote NO for those 5 people as charter
> members given track record. I can only imagine that not everybody interprets
> the "NO" vote to mean the same thing...

I'm pretty sure of that Daniel, and we only can try to improve that
being well explicit on the instructions but still many people don't
read the explanations.

I remember watching someone votes (no name, just his/her votes) and I
was surprised of seeing a lot of NOes and thinking "he has not
understood what we wanted to mean by a YES/NO/Abstain".

We'll try this year to improve the instructions on the voting, definitely.

--
Jorge Sanz
http://www.osgeo.org