[Board] Application for funding QGIS Codesprint/Developers meeting - QGIS HackFest, Girona

Lluís Vicens lluis at sigte.udg.es
Tue Mar 15 05:14:35 PDT 2016

On 10/03/16 16:09, Jody Garnett wrote:

> Lluis:

Dear Jody and Board members,

My comments in line:

> Thanks for the request, and the detailed background info. It is a bit
> unclear to me if you are asking OSGeo to take on a sponsorship
> (€2,000) - since any excess funds are used to   "cover full expenses
> from the Monestir de Sant Daniel in order to contribute to the QGIS
> project". I am not sure I understand this sentence?

To be clear, our application for funding is not for taking on a
sponsorship (sponsorship it is intended to cover the Spanish foss4g and
the QGIS Conference expenses), but for covering the hack fest expenses
derived from accommodation and food for participants/attendants.

> Normally when we fund a code-sprint we do so by taking on some
> financial risk for the event (which could be greater than €4000). This
> is sometimes works out cheaper (if third-party sponsorship goes well)
> and is sometimes more expensive - the point is it allows you as an
> organization committee to "relax" about the event (or at least share
> the stress).

The point is... that we are really a little "bit stressed" because of
the lack of sponsorship or business tickets for the conference. On one
hand we are trying to get funds from sponsorship to cover the conference
costs... and on the other hand there is our request to the OSGeo board
for helping/funding the QGIS hackfest.

Our request for funding the QGIS hackfest, should definitely help us to
relax/share some stress ;)

> This event is a lot more then a code sprint (so we have a chance to
> pull from both our events and our outreach budget). The tricky part is
> where any excess funds go - we prefer to fund projects such as QGIS
> directly (since they have a project steering committee - or in the
> case of QGS an association - for that purpose).
>

> I ask if we should:
>
> a) fund as a sponsor €2,000
>
> b) back the event as a foundation (take on risk with the understanding
> your budget expects this to be around €4,000

Our request is for option b)

Please, if you have any doubts or if you need more explanations, don't
hesitate to ask again.

Thanks for your time and patience,

All the best,

Lluís Vicens