[Board] FOSS4G - South America

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Sat Oct 22 13:09:31 PDT 2016

This was proposed back in 2011, to allocate one day a week to assist
with the 'little tasks' that are done to maintain consistency in such
important events, for the foundation; since then, this model was
implemented and is still in use for the FOSSGIS event (one day a week of
effort to help with the consistency of the event).  I believe Charlotte
Eberz does great work in this position for the FOSSGIS e.V. association.
  Till and others can relay the importance of this role - indeed we have
seen what can happen without someone filling this role, paid or
otherwise.  It is all those unglorious tasks that I've done behind the
scenes for FOSS4G since 2006.  Instead of arguing about the need for it,
I think we can listen to another foundation, FOSSGIS e.V., who was
forward thinking enough to prevent a 2012 happening, and give a
passionate person who cares of those little unheralded tasks, funding
throughout the year to make sure things flow, work closely from one
local committee to another.

This need was there in 2011, and is even more needed today, as the
FOSS4G passion spreads all around the world.

I ask the Board to consider the need for it, and to modify and update
the proposal however you feel is needed, now for the stability of FOSS4G
and the OSGeo foundation.

(if you fear my voice overtaking others here in this thread, I am ok
with being quiet and letting you discuss this more, either here or
offline; please let me know if you have any questions)

-jeff