[Board] discussion on osgeo projects, osgeo community and incubation

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Tue Aug 1 16:46:06 PDT 2017

Thanks Cameron, you are doing a better job of communicating this one then
me.

Venkas observation is valid - that it is a surprise to PSC members (and
board members) that a "Project in Incubation" badge is not available. As
committee chair it is my responsible to communicate with the board, I tend
to focus significant items - like the recent graduation.

For incubation you touch on an important idea - that the incubation process
is there to help the project teams improve. Any advertising or visibility
benefit is a distraction from this goal (and in some cases has proved
harmful).

I also want to focus on the new OSGeo Community project category - it is an
exciting idea that allows OSGeo to support and promote far more software
projects. If we have project teams being disappointed about taking part as
a community project it may serve to discourage involvement and outreach.

The conversation with Helena is also important - the commitment of the
project teams should be acknowledged. One of our foundation goals, to
increase participation, was to do a better job of celebrating
participation. Having project teams being proud of their participation and
commitment is a good thing - so if a badge can help acknowledge this fact
then it may yet serve a purpose.

Finally we have mounting reports of projects not staying on target with
respect osgeo project expectations. This is a responsibility that should be
debated at the board level, leaving board members (myself included) a
pressing matter to attend to - see meeting minuets for action items:
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Face_to_Face_Meeting_Paris_2017#3._OSGeo_project_status

--
Jody Garnett