[Board] awards discussion

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Sat Jul 1 10:41:45 PDT 2017

On 30 June 2017 at 05:37, Helena Mitasova <hmitaso at ncsu.edu> wrote:

> Jody,
>
>  I see - I thought you were talking about establishing new awards while
> you probably had in mind existing awards.

Not we are fine for existing awards, we already planed as part of the AGM /
Closing.

I reference one of our goals from
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Board_Face_to_Face_Meeting_2016 specifically
"celebrate excellence, openess and service to the OSGeo community". We
opened the door by rewording this goal, to allow more than just the sol
katz award, and now have an opportunity to follow through.

Awards need not be limited to foss4g, we have lots of great community
members, and plenty of events world wide to choose from.

Also, given that AGM is now scheduled as one of parallel sessions we
> definitely don't need a room with 350 seats - I doubt that there will be
> more than 100 people present, some speakers for the committees and projects
> may actually have a conflict with their presentations but we can deal with
> that (I will send a separate email about the AGM)

I am not sure what to make of it Helena, it is going to be a scramble with
several of the people we need for the AGM scheduled concurrently. Still
that is the subject of another email thread.

Department of Marine, Earth and Atmospheric Sciences