[Board] Request for supporting a code sprint

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at metaspatial.net
Mon Mar 13 09:33:39 PDT 2017

Dear Board,

this is a request to support a code sprint in Nairobi, Kenya focusing on
the region of Eastern Africa. The code sprint with a total budget of 19k
USD is planned for end of April. This funding request is for 3k USD to
account for catering at the four day event.

The Global Land Tool Network GLTN (of which OSGeo is a member since 2014
[1]) has a budget to support activities of their work groups called
"clusters". OSGeo is a member of the "Professional Cluster" [2]. In my
function as OSGeo liaison officer I have requested a budget to organize
code sprint to further develop the software STDM [3], create interest in
the region and to jump-start potential contributors to OSGeo software
projects in the Eastern Africa region. The code sprint will take place
at the end of April and we are basically set to go. Please find the
(draft) CfP for the code sprint at [4] to be finalized and published on
the STDM web sites in the coming days.

The support request including the preliminary budget is available in the
Wiki at:
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/STDM_2017_Code_Sprint

Thank you and best regards,
Arnulf