[Board] Budgeting project event support for 2018

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 21:01:16 PDT 2017

Your project steering committee makes a motion, and you ask the treasurer.
This is how GeoServer was able to assist the marlin project's java one
fundraiser.

You can see our meeting mins here:
http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/GeoTools-GeoWebCache-GeoServer-Meeting-2017-07-25-td5329187.html

And then the motion on the email list:
http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/PSC-motion-help-Marlin-developer-reach-to-JavaOne-td5329262.html

I should say that most projects budget only outlined a need for code-sprint
funding, which really helped figure out how much we needed to set aside for
that this year. Prior experience indicated that sponsor donations often
mean that code sprints turn a profit, so OSGeo can often carry money from
event to event ...  Our procedure for code sprint
<https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Code_Sprint_Guidelines> is designed to make
sure the team is putting some effort into attracting sponsorship, and that
allows OSGeo both provide initial money (to rent facilities) before
sponsorship comes through, and to backfill in the event of a loss so our
volunteers are not personally on the hook (it is stressful enough running
one of these events).
--
Jody Garnett