[Board] Send a timeline mail to OSGeo-Discuss and information about f2f and no charter member meeting

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Wed Jan 10 16:52:29 PST 2018

While I love the idea of holding an open OSGeo meeting, where all OSGeo
members can have deep discussions of topics of interest, I think there
are physical limitations which make this vision impractical.

1. With more than ~ 8 people in a room, it is difficult to have
conversations with everyone contributing equally, and a facilitator is
required to keep the meeting focused.

2. With ~ 10 to 100 people, you can set up a panel type discussion (with
asymmetrical information flow), with a core team answering questions
from the crowd. This can be entertaining, and good to share expert's
information, but is not conducive for deep dive problem solving.

3. With 100+ you are moving to one-direction communication. One person
presents their pre-considered ideas to listeners.

I'd suggest that if you want to tackle any topics of substance, then
break meetings up into subtopics and smaller group discussions.