[Board] Travis-CI & OSGeo

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Tue May 1 15:22:01 PDT 2018

On mardi 1 mai 2018 12:22:26 CEST Howard Butler wrote:
> On 5/1/18 2:39 AM, Regina Obe wrote:
> > I'm sure Hobu will correct my ignorance and rave about all the goodness of
> > Travis :)
> My point(s) about Travis are not about its technical non-superiority.

I would not be able to articulate things more clearly than Howard did and due to his
experience on this very precise topic, the value of his testimony should be be considered with
care.

Due to lack of recent experience with Jenkins, I can't really comment if it is appropriate for
the task. I think it can trigger builds on pull requests, can't it ? What about configuration of
builds: is there the equivalent of a config file hosted in the source code repo (ala .travis.yml)
to which any contributor can contribute changes to the CI scripts: fix them, add new
configurations, etc ? If it is a task that can only be done by a select administrator of each
project, then we add extra burden on its shoulders.
But the above is just details compared to a more fundamental difference when comparing
Jenkins to Travis-CI/CircleCI/GitLab-CI/etc... Jenkins is just a software. Which machines would
run it ? Has OSGeo a stock of 20 unused cores somewhere to support 10 concurrent builds ?
I don't really believe either in solutions where people bring their machines. I think that was
how buildbot worked with the build slaves, right ?
My mention of having sufficiently hardware power is not just a theoretical concern: ironically
a lot of flakes I've seen with GDAL and Travis were due to the GDAL autotest suite doing the
mundane task of downloading (small) files from download.osgeo.org and the server being
unresponsive due to probably being overloaded by other tasks. I've finally modified those
tests to pull from rawcontent.github.com and those flakes have gone away.

And even if you have the appropriate software + the appropriate machines, the crucial
human factor as raised by Howard remains. I feel my time is better spent at taking care at the
sofware I'm knowleadgable of rather than at doing system administration/maintainance
work for which I've little expertise/interest, and which implies to be available at the moment
when things break.

Even

http://www.spatialys.com