[Board] Travis-CI & OSGeo

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Wed May 2 02:49:58 PDT 2018

On Wed, May 02, 2018 at 11:40:52AM +0200, María Arias de Reyna wrote:
> On Wed, May 2, 2018 at 11:33 AM, Sandro Santilli <strk at kbt.io> wrote:

> >helping a non-free
> > software spread is IMHO contrary to the goal of enhancing greatness
> > of our open source software.
>
> Sidenote: Travis is, in fact, open source. An obscure open source
> difficult to use, but open source in the end:
> https://github.com/travis-ci

Ok, so this is one of those cases of "open-source as marketing".
That is, it is "open" by marketing but effectively "closed" community
wise. Common to many "recent" companies.

> I believed all this time it was privative. Probably because it won't
> qualify for our open source definition where anyone can really
> download, build and use it easily...

Right. "How do we evaluate open source" was an interesting thread on
the "discuss" mailing list, must be still in the archives. It's a
community we're after, not just a tool (imho).

--strk;