[OSGeo-Boston] FARM CARTOGRAPHER WANTED (GIS SKILLS APPRECIATED)

Jeffrey Warren jeff at unterbahn.com
Fri Jul 1 05:21:02 EDT 2011

Some on this list may be interested in this post by the Greenhorns:

>  +++THE GREENHORNS want to create a map with information that young farmers can

use. ++++++

>  The Greenhorns and the National Young Farmerıs Coalition are partnering to

revamp a young farmer mapping project, Serve Your Country Food
(www.serveyourcountryfood.net). This project aims to provide a national network
of young farmers and new farmer entrepreneurs with information they can put to
use in the project of fixing America.

>  Young farmers have an incredible diversity of needs; work on this project will

involve merging data layers from governmental soil surveys and agricultural
censuses with contemporary, geo-coded information about young farmer action
around the country. As national young farmer momentum grows, so does our need
for a smart map that can track national trends and provide necessary services to
young farmers. We want to map a regional and national data set for use in
business planning coordination cooperation and food systems planning.

>  We are looking for someone interested in grassroots mapping, with skills in

GIS and data organization, to lead the technical portion of this project. The
time commitment is negotiable, although we are looking for someone to commit for
the summer (July and August) to help us envision and map our project. If
interested, please send your resume and any relevant projects to Louisa Denison
at LouDeni50n at gmail.com. If you are not GIS-skilled but interested in getting
involved in the project, get in touch and weıll figure out something for you to
do.