[California] Introductions

Allan Hollander adhollander at ucdavis.edu
Wed Oct 17 20:54:16 EDT 2007

Hi everybody,

I'm glad to see the formation of this list! I am a geographer and researcher
in a group called the Information Center for the Environment at the
University of California, Davis. I do a lot of work on biodiversity
informatics, and these days almost exclusively use open source software for
my GIS needs. Favorite tools include GRASS, MapServer, QGIS, and I am just
beginning to do some work with OpenLayers.

The main goal I have for this chapter would be to raise the awareness of open
source geospatial tools within geospatial practitioners in California. I am
also interested in regional FOSS4G meetups. I also like the programming ideas
that have been posted so far on the wiki page. Enhancing the hard-copy
cartographic capabilities of the FOSS4G toolset is a big interest of mine,
and there is definitely a need for a simple, modern, and general-purpose
metadata editor.

-- Allan Hollander
   Davis, California