[California] Introductions, regional & local chapters

Allan Hollander adhollander at ucdavis.edu
Thu Oct 18 20:48:14 EDT 2007

About statewide vs. local chapters -- on the main list Tyler was being
slightly facetious about what the role of a Canada-wide chapter could be, but
I think his point might apply here. I like the idea of a SF Bay Area FOSS4G
group (not that distant of a trip for me), so maybe an initial goal of this
California list should be to precipitate local groups. From discussion at
those, California-wide goals could emerge.

Most of my programming is in Python these days. I've been using Scribus a lot
these days to produce a newsletter, and think it's a great product. Since I
think the end point in cartographic production should be a high-quality PDF
document, I could envision Scribus as the final tool used in a cartographic
production chain.

About metadata tools -- my dream tool would be able to generate a good input
form given a fairly arbitrary metadata schema. Are you thinking in terms of a
desktop tool, or something web-based? GeoNetwork goes a fair bit down the
latter road.

-- Allan