[California] Getting Started With More Than Conferences

Landon Blake lblake at ksninc.com
Fri Nov 6 17:21:42 EST 2009

 Ragi wrote: "I want to learn Python. My Python sucks. It takes me 10 times to code something, but it is simply because I suck."

I'm no great Pythonista either. In fact, I try to program Python like I do Java, which doesn't work very well. So we'd both like to know Python better.

Ragi wrote: "That would have to probably be a C project since we need to deal with memory arrays. However, there is Python support for ffmpeg libraries. http://code.google.com/p/pyffmpeg/
Adding georeferencing information is what we would need to think about. Video processing is not my area of expertise at all... but to me, that is the point of doing projects (to learn something)."

Looks like ffmpeg is well supported, although the Python version doesn't seem to be active. I wouldn't mind working with either library. Might be better to use C, since our knowledge of Python would have to be pretty good if we were going to support the ffmpeg bindings for Python.
I know some basic photogrammetry, which would be useful for georeferrencing video, which I imagine requires some application of photogrammetry to individual video frames.

Ragi wrote: "In fact, if we do a project that is iPhone related, I would have more time to work on it, since it would directly relate to what I am doing lately. However, I am aware that if you do not have (or want) an iPhone or a Mac, it doesn't make sense for you. This would be #1 on my interest list (for iPhone). If this interests you, I would be willing to get a hold of a mac mini for you."

Sigh...I don't have an IPhone or a Mac. Can you write IPhone apps in Java? If so, we could work on a library that abstracted the geo-functions of mobile devices like the Bug and the IPhone behind a universal API. That would be a challenging project. "GeoVM for mobile devices".

Ragi wrote: "I only listed this because I maintained and extended the Versioning code for ESRI for 9.2 and 9.3, so I have an idea of how it works :)"

I don't get real excited about PostGIS, but working with the program is an important skill for anyone wanting to make money in the open source GIS world. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt me to learn more about it. OpenJUMPers would love better PostGIS support and I'm sure the PostGIS folks would love versioning. I'm acquainted with some of the folks at Refractions Research that work on PostGIS, so that is a plus.

Landon
Office Phone Number: (209) 946-0268
Cell Phone Number: (209) 992-0658